Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Chinese have nothing to worry about

I've been trying my hand at a bit of sewing lately now that we have room for me to leave my sewing machine out.
All of the needed accessories at hand: thread, machine, pins, scissors,
 and ... Diet Coke
My latest project is a set of table napkins. My mother-in-law sent me a bunch of gorgeous lace-edged ones, but of course they're too nice to use (at least with our bunch). So I decided to make some inexpensive ones that I wouldn't worry about getting dirty.


The kids gave their highest compliment "They look just like bought ones!" Since it took me all afternoon to make a set of 8, I don't think I will hire myself out to a sweatshop anytime soon.

In the running for probably the longest time I've EVER taken to do a project is the embroidery sampler in the picture below. I started it over a year ago at the other house, and promised myself that I would finish it eventually.

I really like embroidery, and hope to do more of it soon. It's very relaxing and I can just let my mind wander while I "paint with thread", which is how I explained it to the kids. 

Cross-stitch just seems a little bit too much like math,
so I think I'll stick with embroidery

No comments:

Post a Comment