Sunday, March 18, 2012

Librarian humour

Lately my office has been located in the library, and I've gotten to know a few of the people who work there. And although IT people can be very strange, librarians have their own quirky sense of humour.

The library is in the middle of a renovation, and I'm now working in the new wing. Its so new, that the signs haven't been put on the doors yet. My door just has a paper sign with my name.

The official parts of the library are being named with stick on letters. They look very flash, but at the moment the letters are just hanging about waiting to be stuck on the doors.

Here is what happens when you leave a bunch of letters out for librarians to play with.

See, they are a friendly bunch!




This one I wasn't sure about. The first one I read as "Man in Cupboard", but it now
looks more like "Manwich Board". Interesting, because they don't have Manwiches
in Australia.

The second line reads "carry on regardless" which is a particularly stiff upper lip type of British saying.  Maybe by Churchill.

Speaking of sayings when I first moved here I made a joke about trying out a keyboard by typing the old saying "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country." I was corrected that the saying in Australia is "now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party."

This last is completely off the subject, but I thank my mother for insisting that I take typing in high school. Back in the day I couldn't imagine anything more boring than being a typist or secretary, and she said "well, you might need something to fall back on". Wise words indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment