Sunday, June 10, 2012

Tend to your knitting

When my grandmother used to get too nosy for him, my grandpa used to say "tend to your knitting". Generally wise advice, but I don't think he meant it literally. :)

Since finishing the PhD I've been using the opportunity to do more fun stuff around home. One that I've picked up again in knitting. I was never any great shakes at it, although Grandma taught me how to knit a pair of slippers. It must be required I think in the Grandmother Code of Ethics for county women.

Anyway, I hereby present my first, less than perfect effort. It only took me a month. And several ripping outs and outbursts of colourful language that Grandma wouldn't have approved of, but Grandpa would have appreciated.

The button is a bit off center, much like me!
Dave will be the recipient of this comfy pillow, I hope he likes it.

Cultural note:
In Australia all yarn is called wool. The old saying to "wrap someone in cotton wool" means to protect someone (usually kids) supposedly in soft cotton fabric. So is it cotton or wool?

A yarn, is a story or tall-tale, although here yarning is a description of what we would call "shooting the breeze".

No comments:

Post a Comment