Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Are they biscuits or scones?

Homemade - not from a box
I've been trying to cook more things from scratch lately. Less preservatives, but more dishes to wash.

Tonight I made spaghetti and meatballs with biscuits on the side. Of course no one knew they were biscuits, they thought they were scones. That's pronounced sk-ons, as opposite to the American scone that rhymes with snow cones.

So I had a look, what's in biscuits: flour, baking powder, butter, salt and milk.

What's in scones: self rising flour (flour, baking powder, salt), sugar, butter and milk.

From what I've been able to observe, scones tend to rise slightly higher than biscuits and are generally a bit heavier.

I haven't had the greatest success with biscuits over the years, although I have improved from the lead-lined hockey pucks I used to make in my youth.

Cultural note #1:
There are many uses for the word scone in the Australian vocabulary.

It can mean:
* a biscuit, usually served with jam and cream
* a person's head
* to hit a person in the head

Note #2:
There are no pre-made frozen biscuits in a tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment