Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The things parents do


While I was writing the post about Donn's flying experience, I was reminded of when my family lived briefly in Alaska. We spent the spring and summer of 1973 in a small logging camp on Baranof Island. Prior to moving back home to Oregon, we stayed for a couple of weeks in a hotel in Sitka, while Dad and Mom finalized their plans.

I don't remember Dad being around much, but Mom was cooped up in a hotel room with three small kids, me 8, Jimmy 5, and Eric 4. We probably drove her insane trying to come up with stuff to keep us occupied.

One of the things I do remember is that every day we begged her to take us to the "castle". The castle was an old fortification overlooking the town. I think it even had a cannon.

Even my young legs thought it was a big climb to the top, but I didn't remember just how long it was.

Check out the video below that shows the trip down. I can't imagine doing that climb everyday, and I bet that she would have had to carry Eric for most of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment